Melinda Cooksey (15/04/2016)

Many in the club will remember super-sprinter Mel Cooksey, club record holder for 100m, 200m and 400m, or will remember her being denied a place in the final of the UK championships by the toss of a coin.

In Feburary 2015 Mel was diagnosed with breast cancer, but after treatment is now recovering and raising money to fund a project to help others.

Taken from her fund raising page,

As many of my friends and family know, I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 6th Feb 2015.  Along the way I have met some truly inspirational people and have been supported by an amazing network of friends and family.  I have never felt so loved and cared for. But I know from speaking with other women in the same situation this is not always the case.
I was going through a tough time with cancer treatment and also personal circumstances but I found and created my own unique lifestyle plan that kept me going throughout treatment and now that it is finished I am transitioning back to non-cancer life, and have created a plan to get fit, lose weight (whilst eating healthy), de-toxify my mind and body and keep stress to a minimum all whilst starting to work again.
I have found, and many other women have related that there is a big gap of care for women who have undergone treatment and then want to make it back into 'normal' life.

You can donate to Mel's fund, and follow her blog on the links below.

GoFundMe  |  Mel's Blog  |  Mel's Facebook Page

The club will be holding a fund raising event in the summer, check back for details. Mel pictured below during her athletic career.

Melinda Cooksey