Midland Road Relays Results (25/09/2016)

Tom Holden reports on the Men's racing :-

"On a blustery day in Sutton the troop of Whippets were out in force to contest the first race of the relays season. We had 4 senior teams and 1 Masters team competing. First ever senior race for some and return to racing for many, the 6 stage always provides plenty of interest for a team manager.

The A team were led off by Ian Williams, promoted to the a team in the week, ran an excellent 1st leg in his return from injury, coming in 12th. Joe Smith, who has had an excellent summer, moved the team up to 8th on leg 2. Gareth Griffiths on 3rd was competing with a heavy cold, but nevertheless soldiered round for the team, coming back in 10th. Mike Aspinall, another returning to racing after a summer off, moved the team up to 7th. Ben Gamble, having ran a marathon last week, continued the progression to 6th. Then Stuart Hawkes ran a stormer on last leg, chasing down former Harrier Mark Powell, pipping him for 5th. The B Team of Barnsley, Vine, Gillespie, Holden, Wilson and Booker finished 20th (3rd B team) ensuring we qualified a 2nd team for the National. Highlight for the C team was a storming leg from Jonny Carter, gaining 20 places, this after an early hours of the morning return from holiday (and copius alcohol consumption).

After finishing 2nd the last couple of years it was a shame we couldn't get a medal, but given the number of people unavailable, injured, ill or returning from illness and injury then we left the park with an overall sense of satisfaction and the knowledge that in 3 weeks time we will (hopefully) be a lot stronger.

I have to enter the National Teams in the next few days. I will assume availability unless you tell me otherwise. Then will talk to people over the next couple of weeks about teams for National."

Under 13 Boys
Under 13 Girls
Under 15 Boys
Under 15 Girls
Under 17 Men
Under 17 Women
Senior Men
Masters
Senior Women

Awaiting other reports & pictures (Women's & Young Athletes)