Birmingham XC League (13/11/2016)

Tom Holden reports,

An excellent day at the Senior League yesterday.  Firstly can I thank everyone who came along to support, your encouragement around the course was brilliant.  Special thanks to Jeff and Chris as ever for sorting out the tokens and the other 'admin' jobs before the race.

A damp and drizzly morning in the Black Country turned out to be a mild overcast afternoon in Cheltenham.  19 whippets took to the start line equaling the number we had at fixture 1 last year.  Despite the rain in the previous 48 hours the course was fast and firm. Up front, Loughborough swamped the top 20 in much the same way as they did last year, but as I peered across half way round the second lap, chasing them down was a troop of green and white, 5 in the 20s!  We were led home by Joe Smith in 22nd and the A team closed with Chris Gillespie in 58th. A total of 217 points for 4th team, our best start to the season since 2011. The B team were equally strong led by Deano Bate in 67th and closing with Zabie Hassan in 154, totalling 646 again for 4th B team.

This was a good start to the season and much improved in many ways on the last couple of years, buts whats most encouraging is that we can do much better.  There were a few faces missing who would definitely be pushing for 5th and 6th scorer in the A. There were a few who are capable of much better runs (myself being one). and hopefully next time Ben Gamble will bring his spikes! 

2016 11 12BhamLeague