Officials Courses In A County Near You ? (19/10/2018)

Shropshire County AA are trying to canvas interest in them potentially staging some officials courses within their county boundaries. They have widened the notice to include Staffordshire AA. They have circulated the following

"SHROPSHIRE A.A. AND SHROPSHIRE SCHOOLS A.A.

In recent years all courses for Athletics Officials seem to have taken place at weekends in Birmingham, or other major centres in the Midlands. Such courses are proving to be very costly and time consuming.

As far as I can make out there does not appear to have been a course for TIMEKEEPERS or TRACK JUDGES for many years within the Shropshire County AA boundary.

Following approaches to England Athletics, it would seem that they would support such courses if we can identify that there is sufficient demand for a course. We need to arrange for a minimum of 10 candidates for any one course. Thus the ball is now in our court, and we need your help to give more local athletics enthusiasts the chance to become qualified.

Our suggestions, (which can be modified), are to organise a LEVEL 1 TIMEKEEPERS COURSE in Telford – probably at the Hadley Learning Centre on a series of two Thursday evenings from 6.00 – 9.00 p.m, starting in late January 2019.  One of the sessions will incorporate the compulsory Health & Safety and Generic Modules. The maximum cost for the entire course is £30.  Every effort is being made to reduce these costs, but much depends upon the forthcoming support.

If our first effort is successful, it is our intention to follow up with a LEVEL 1 TRACK JUDGES OFFICIALS course on a subsequent Thursday evening. Cost of this would be a maximum of £20 for those who have already attended the Health & Safety course, or £30 to include the compulsory H & S section (mentioned above).

These suggestions, at present, will depend upon the availability of course lecturers.

Priority will be given to candidates over 18 years of age from within Shropshire, but if there is insufficient support then it may be possible to recruit from neighbouring counties.

To make headway, I would be obliged if you could bring this suggested scheme to the attention of your committee and club members, and let me have the names and contact details of anyone who may wish to take advantage of the idea. A “nil” return would be of value, but I hope that it will not be forthcoming!

Shropshire has a proud record of having a team of highly qualified athletics officials. I do hope that you will be able to help add a few more names to the list.

Derek Hayward MBE.
President Shropshire AA. & Shropshire Schools’ AA."

If you are potentially interested then please let both a member of the Tipton Committee know and also Derek Hayward who can be contacted This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..