Ch..Ch..Changes... (01/09/2013)

There has recently been some changes in how the Senior Men's team will be managed going forward. The following is an extract from an email circulated by Mike Buntin.

Hi all

I hope you've all had a good summer of storming round the track are ready to get back on the roads and the country.

As a number of you already know I've decided that I'm no longer going to be the Senior Men's Team Manager. Apologies in advance for the long email, just wanted to put a few of my thoughts down.

It's for various reasons but essentially I've been struggling with my own running for a few years now and have lost some motivation. I'm hoping that by stopping with the admin side of things for a while I'll get that motivation back and be able to get myself fit again. I've also been doing the team manager role for I think 8 years and feel it needs some fresh input to keep the club and the team moving forward.

I'm very proud with what we've achieved over the last few years and it has been an honour for me to be associated with Tipton Harriers once again getting back to being one of the country's best and most successful clubs.

When myself (and for a couple of years the big man Matt Lockett) first took on the role the team was in a bit of a transition period and at our first 12-stage in charge we were 11th in 2005 and in 2006 we were 13th at the National Cross - our worst result since 1965. A rather inauspicious start you might say.

For me the 12-stage is a great measure of a club's strength and we've improved every year from 2005 until we won bronze in 2009, silver in 2010 and then back-to-back victories in 2011-12. A huge highlight for me was the victory in 2011 with such a great finish, but knowing that two of that team were also members of the team that had won ten years earlier in 2001 also gave me great pleasure.

We've also medalled at the last three National Cross Champs and we have the team that can continue that for many more years and hopefully win it very soon.

For me being part of a team, and particularly a successful team is a massive driving force in my running. I have never tried so hard, or been as nervous, as when on last leg for the club at a relay. Outsprinting Shettleston to win 12-stage bronze in 2009 is a definite highlight of my own running (sorry for the little bit of self-indulgence) and I can say for certain that knowing 11 guys had run their hearts out to put me in that position is huge motivation (as well as Martin's dog Amber chasing me up the finishing straight!).

I wish I'd been fit enough to get in the winning teams of 2011-12, but you never know, I might yet sneak myself into a National winning team before my legs fall off.

One final thing to say is a huge thank you to our own Bud Baldaro. Without Bud our team would not be where it is now, long may it continue. He is a huge driver behind the scenes and has helped so many members of the club over the years it is immeasurable. We've always bounced the teams and orders for relays around between us and it's been a great pleasure.

In terms of managing the team going forward there been a number of offers of help and so for the first few races it will be a bit of a joint effort as who is going to pick up what role, but for the Midland 6-stage it will be Dan Beier who'll be the contact for organising the teams and Bryan Mills will be sorting out the details on the day. I'll send a separate email on that as we have to get the entries in very soon. If you are willing to help out then do please let us know as the more people involved the better.

Please give your full support to the guys picking up my role in the next year. We have a really fantastic squad that can definitely challenge for national honours time and again. We need to take our chances!

See you at the 6-stage if not before.

Mike

I am sure we all wish Mike well and thank him for his contribution to the club, so far, as both an athlete and administrator.