Ashby 20 (10/03/2014)

Jon Shaw continued his build up to the London Marathon with a spin over 20 Miles. Here he reflects under the apt title of "Blood, Sweat and Beers"

"Completed the Ashby 20 in 3:13 and on reflection have to be pleased when you look at the course and the hot conditions (for me) and on the back of Silverstone Half PB the week before.

In the toilet queue beforehand the Tipton Vest got me talking to a DK runner who turned out to be a lady known as Loz's sister (by my Tue/Thur running mate Andy Williams).

A rolling start and I was off into the unknown (well I'd only done a couple of half marathons up to now, in recent months). The hilly stories lived up to their expectations and the support was good all the way round.

I blasted the first 10 mile in 1:26 but my pacemaker was off for a repeat second lap. I was a bit less hopeful of cracking the 3 hrs as a bit of fatigue kicked in along with the temperature getting hotter, so the times dropped as well as the hills getting harder second time around. At half-marathon point I was overtaken by a Gorilla and then from miles 16 – 18 I was getting stalked by the paramedic ambulance, which started to worry me. I kept going although a couple of minutes above my hoped mile pace and managed to fight off a bit of cramp. I don't think I've ever taken so many gels and poured so much water over my head.

I managed a sort of sprint into the finishing straight with cheers from my fellow Park Runners Daz, Nikki and Ian before collecting the legendary hoody and cheese cob.

This was followed by a couple of beers after a cold bath when I got home.

Next stop London.... but not before a few more Tue and Thur sessions in the meantime."