Midland Road Relays - Women's Report (21/09/2015)

Thanks to Bob Lynch for a write up of the days action from the ladies race at Sutton Park on Saturday.

Sitting here writing this on a wet Monday morning, it's hard to believe how good the weather was on Saturday in Sutton Park, warm (but not too warm), dry, sunny and windless. I can't remember any better conditions. Amie managed to put together three complete teams and everyone ran really well. She's got the happy knack of knowing who to put in which team!

The teams come far and wide for this event - even North Devon is in the Midlands apparently. Anyway, it's a respected event with a strong entry - 340 runners this year, split across about 90 teams. The Tipton Ladies A team managed 5th place. beating strong teams like BRAT, Notts & Nuneaton etc. Congratulations! Amie and Sophie Lynch both managed course pb's, gaining 9th and 17th overall respectively.

First off was Amie on the leg which as usual, had the strongest runners. She powered home in 15min 39sec, handing over to Lynne Hill in 6th place and beating some well-known names in the process. Lynne ran strongly to snatch a place and came in 5th at 16min 50sec. Julie Hinch ran the third leg and, despite not on being on top form, dropped just one place to 6th in 17min 05sec. Finally came Sophie, who had made the trip from Cardiff for the race, ran her heart out and overtook the BRAT lass just before the line, clocking 16min 02sec.

We mustn't forget the other two teams - some good performances from newly promoted youngsters, seasoned campaigners and new members. Not many clubs put out three complete teams, let alone get two teams in the top 30.

Second team was Sue Davies, Dani Sedgley, Katie Dolan and Sophie Byrne. They came 28th (out of 79 complete teams) The third team was made up of Vicky Charlton, Sian Reynolds, Emily Adams and Michaela Duckett. This was Michaela's first relay and Emily normally excels at 400m - quite a change for her! I look forwards to seeing some or all these 8 progress and make the first team in due course. I'm sure they will.

Next Road Relays is the Nationals on 3 October, again in Sutton Park.

RESULTS